Sunday, November 13, 2011

Why Special Education?

  Seeing as this is my first blog, I would like to introduce myself to my fellow readers.  I am currently a junior at Illinois State University studying to be a Special Education teacher.  I am not 100% sure what age level I want to teach once I graduate, but I am pretty confident that I'd love to teach in a self-contained elementary or junior high classroom, with students with moderate to severe disabilities.
  I have had the privilege of working at many different special recreation summer camps the past ten or so years. I also have been a part of my high school's Peer Mentoring program where I was placed in a SED classroom during one period, the whole year.  I loved working with peers my own age in the Special Education department and still keep in touch with many of them today.  Working with this population of children has been my passion since I was very young.
  But why Special Education?  Where did this passion start?
  My older brother, Daniel, was diagnosed with Cornelia De Lange Syndrome at birth.  This is one of the lesser-known cognitive impairments out there.  He could not walk or eat food the way most people do.  He could not talk or tell us how he was feeling.  He could not read or write, but what he could do was smile and love.
 Daniel's  passion was music.  You could pop in any CD or turn on the radio and he would be humming along to any song that came on.  I grew up listening to Steve Green CD's and the Les Miserables soundtrack.  We owned the Broadway musical on VHS too, so that was constantly playing on our TV.  Les Miserables is still one of my favorite musicals to this day because of those countless times spent listening to "Look Down" and "Do You Hear the People Sing".
  Daniel was my best friend.  He was a few years older than me, yet was my inspiration.  He always lit up my life and brought a smile to my face.  Countless times he could be found smiling at himself in the mirror and humming his favorite tunes.  Though I knew he was in pain, never once did he show it.  His smile was unwavering.
  Sure, I knew my older brother was different, but that made no difference to me.  He was special to me and that was all that mattered.  I spent many years visiting the halls of his school, which only taught students with moderate to severe disabilities.  His friends became my friends, his teachers became my role models.
  As Daniel grew older, his health weakened.  His immune system began to struggle fighting off the various sicknesses and virus's he caught.  Days in the hospital and  hours in the E.R.became very frequent for my family and when I was in second grade, Daniel passed away.  After fighting Pneumonia for a week or so, his body was too weak and it was time for him to go.  And yet even in his dying minutes, he clapped his hands and smiled.
  So why Special Education?  Because since I was born, a young boy with disabilities was my role model.  He taught me happiness and love.  He showed me all that he was capable of, no matter his weaknesses.  He truly changed my whole outlook on life.  After his death, I promised that I would commit the rest of my life to helping educate students just like him.
  Daniel inspired, impacted, and empowered me.  Why Special Education?  Because that's what I want to do for the rest of my life....inspire, impact, and empower.

 

6 comments:

  1. Amazing reasons Jackie! I didn't know about your brother and I really love this. I'm sure he would have loved knowing your doing this for him, maybe he already does. I can't wait to see how far your career takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes me so proud of my cousin! Being passionate about what you do is essential, especially with something as challenging as special education. I think you have the patience and love to help so many students. I know you will do so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this and you! you will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is important to me to know more about you. I think this blog is a great idea. It takes a certain kind of person to become a special education teacher. Patience, caring and love are qualities that you have obviously been blessed with. It is torture to hear of a past that is sad and difficult. I can only hope that yours makes you the best person you can be. I wish you good luck in all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having the calling to teach is awe inspiring. Although the story of your brothers short life is sad to the outside world, it gave you a wonderful gift. The gift to be able to see the best in those that society has cast aside. You were able to understand that there was a beautiful person inside him, a person most people would have not even bothered to look for. That ability is what will make you a brilliant teacher. You have taken what many people would have used as a reason or excuse to explain every misjudgement they have made, and you have turned it into your inpiration to be a better person and help others. You should be very proud yourself, as proud as the rest of are to have someone like you in our lives. I am looking forward to getting to know more about you and welcoming you into our family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring story! I had no idea bout your brother, you are such a strong girl. You will make a great teacher someday :)

    ReplyDelete